Remember when a telephone was for, well, calling people and talking to them? Remember when the first mobile phones came out and only the tech savvy business person could afford the luxury of lugging around a huge handset that might work if they happened to be in just the right spot? Remember public phone booths? My, how things have changed! Here are some reasons why you need to consider the mobile revolution when formulating your marketing plans today:
- There are approximately 4 BILLION mobile subscribers across the world.
- Most mobile device users keep their phones within arm’s reach over 90 percent of waking hours.
- Americans today are spending an average of three hours per day on the Internet from their mobile devices.
- Over the past few years, the shipment of mobile handsets has grown 16% annually – reaching 400 million sold in the last quarter of 2010. Mobile device companies sold a total of 1.39 billion units in 2010.
- Approximately 30% of U.S. mobile phone users have a smartphone according to Nielson. This number is expected to grow to approximately 43% by 2015 according to eMarketer.
- In 2009, approximately half a BILLION people went online using their mobile device. This number is expected to double within the next 5 years.
- By 2014, mobile Internet usage is expected to exceed desktop Internet usage.
- According to founder and CEO of Amazon.com, Jeff Bezos, customers around the world have ordered more than $1 BILLION U.S. dollars from Amazon.com using a mobile device.
- More than 200 million YouTube views occur on mobile devices every day.
Mobile marketing methods have proven to be effective in acquiring new customers, providing service to existing customers, and driving repeat business through relationship-building. When combined with other marketing methods, mobile marketing has also been proven to increase conversion rates.
Text Message Marketing
SMS text marketing is a “permission-based” form of marketing where the customer initiates things by texting in a keyword to join your list. In exchange for their subscription, you can offer them an incentive, such as a coupon, free goods, free information, etc. Once the person has subscribed to your text messages, they are now a part of your list and will receive all of your future marketing text messages.
- According to researchers, 73% of consumers would like to receive special offers on their mobile devices – but they are not getting them.
- Offers made via SMS text marketing has consistently gotten response rates up to 20% – that’s 10 times more than traditional advertising methods such as email, direct mail, and newspaper ads which usually get around a 2%-3% response rate.
- Most consumers always have their mobile phone by their side, which means that they will receive your message no matter where they are.
- Studies show that approximately 90% of consumers read their mobile text messages within minutes.
- Studies show that mobile coupons will become more relevant over the next several years.
- SMS text marketing puts your subscribers at ease because they can opt-out of your list at any time. However, since the opted-in to join your list, most of them WANT to receive your messages.
- SMS text messages can go viral, which means they can spread like wildfire. This is because your subscribers will often forward your offers to friends and family, which will give you more exposure and more sales.
- With SMS text marketing, you can reach a group of people who are interested in knowing about your products and services within minutes.
- It’s easy to track results of a SMS text marketing campaign as recipients of your text offers have to come into your establishment and show you the offer or coupon right on their cell phones in order to redeem it.
SMS text marketing allows you to reduce your advertising costs while increasing sales and customer loyalty at the same time. This method is inexpensive compared to other marketing methods and usually gets a much higher response rate. SMS text marketing is great for local retailers of all types wishing to promote products or services, provide purchase incentives, and increase customer loyalty and retention. If your business revolves around retail, communication, or appointments, SMS text marketing will be the perfect addition to your marketing tool-kit.
Mobile Enabled Websites
Traditional websites are designed to be viewed on a computer screen instead of a mobile device. This means that most regular websites are not compatible with mobile devices. Studies show that current mobile web-user experiences are overall horrible when it comes to viewing and navigating websites. Websites that have not been optimized for mobile viewing are too cluttered and negatively impact the visitor’s ability to locate information.
- More and more people are using their mobile devices to access the Internet while on the go. In fact, one-third of the world’s population uses their mobile devices to perform Internet searches.
- One-half of all Internet searches for LOCAL products and services are performed from mobile devices.
- Gartner reports that approximately 96 million mobile searches performed in 2009 were by those looking for a “location –based” (LOCAL) service. This number is expected to grow to more than 526 million searches by 2012.
- Mobile-friendly websites receive higher mobile search engine rankings for local searches performed on mobile devices. This means that when people search for your type of product or service using their mobile device, you can show up higher in the results just because you have a mobile website.
- Mobile-friendly websites have higher speed, making the visitor experience more pleasurable.
- Makes it easier for “On the go” visitors to easily find your business and contact you with one-click calling, one-click email, and instant directions. This eliminates the need for your customers to take “extra steps” in order to contact or visit your business.
- When users are successful in finding what they need while visiting a mobile website, they’re more likely to come back. When mobile users land on a website that is all distorted, they quickly exit and make a mental note never to return.
- Gives you the advantage over your competitors; most of which are not even leveraging the powerful benefits of mobile marketing.
Your mobile enabled website designed by Web Marketing Rx helps you attract both “new” and “repeat” customers by giving your business “instant mobile marketability” because your visitors land on your clean mobile site with all of the important information clearly and easily accessible.
QR (Quick Response) codes are 2 dimensional bar codes that are used to transfer information through mobile phone barcode readers. QR codes are helping businesses generate more leads, more sales, and more long-time customers.
- Many major companies are using QR codes to brand and advertise such as Walmart, OnStar, Best Buy, Starbucks, Ralph Lauren, Pepsi, and many others.
- A QR code scanner is very easy to download, but most mobile smartphones now already come with a QR code scanner installed.
- QR codes are becoming popular amongst consumers. From January 2010 through December 2010, the number of people who scanned QR codes worldwide shot up by 13 times.
- QR codes simplify the consumer experience by making it possible to “scan” instead of “type” to access your information on their mobile device.
- QR codes can help you build a customer list fast. Create a QR code that links to an opt-in page where consumers will leave their name and email address in exchange for some type of incentive.
- QR codes can be easily placed on all of your marketing materials including business cards, T-shirts, flyers, receipts, print advertising, signs, billboards, your website, store windows/displays, and many others.
- QR codes can be linked to your Social Media profiles such as Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube to create a powerful list-building combination.
- You can create QR codes to help you get a TON of customer reviews on all of your online directory listings; such as your Google Places Business Listing, Yelp, Insider Reviews, Super Pages, etc. A lot of good online customer reviews are powerful in converting your prospects into new customers.
- Once a consumer has your QR code stored on their phone, it serves as a reminder to them about your business.
Traditional advertising methods require printing and publishing, which can cost thousands. But there are no printing costs involved with QR codes. And it’s easy to make changes to your destination when things change – you don’t have to worry about changing your ad and then re-printing and re-publishing.
Scan with your smartphone
to get directions.
With the snap of a camera phone – or one equipped with a QR code scanner – consumers can scan your QR code and INSTANTLY connect to various forms of digital media or retrieve desired information. A QR code can take them to an opt-in form, a website (preferably a mobile-friendly website), directions to an establishment, a coupon, a video, a menu, picture, a Facebook Fanpage, Twitter page – the possibilities are endless!
Contact us today at 480-304-5502 or via our convenient web form to learn more about how we can start helping you to reach more customers and grow your business using these cutting edge mobile marketing methods.